Your Personal Injury Firm
  1. Home
  2.  – FAQ


Do I need a lawyer if I have been involved in an auto accident?

If you have been involved in an accident that caused serious injuries or property damage, you should at least consider consulting with an attorney to learn more about your rights. The consultations are generally free and you are never obligated to hire an attorney based solely upon an initial consultation.

What should I do if the insurance company wants me to give a recorded statement?

Most accidents generally involve two or more insurance companies: yours and those for the other parties involved in the accident.

Although a person insured by a particular insurance company is generally obligated by the policy to provide information, including a recorded statement, such information should only be given after you have had the opportunity to speak with a lawyer and have that lawyer present when the information is given.

The insurance company for the persons who caused an accident will generally try to get information, including recorded statements, as quickly as possible from those injured by the accident. Anyone injured by an accident should generally consult with an attorney before deciding whether or not to provide any information, including a recorded statement or medical authorization, to an insurance company for an opposing party.

Who will pay my medical bills?

Your own insurance companies, including automobile and health insurers, typically have primary responsibility for paying medical bills incurred as a result of an accident. In cases arising from automobile accidents, the Personal Injury Protection Coverage provided by your own automobile insurer will typically pay at least 80% of your medical bills and 60% of your wage loss, up to the policy limits of $10,000.00. Other forms of insurance may be available to cover the remaining medical bills. The medical bills which are not covered by Personal Injury Protection Coverage or some other form of insurance coverage typically constitute economic damages that may be recovered from the person who caused the accident. You should consult with an attorney to get more information about the payment of medical bills caused by an accident.

How can I afford an attorney?

Most attorneys who handle personal injury cases use a Contingent Fee Agreement, which complies with the rules and regulations established by the Florida Supreme Court. A Contingent Fee Agreement generally provides that you will only owe a fee to your attorney if you recover money to compensate for the losses, injuries and damages caused by an accident. If you do not recover money as compensation for your losses, injuries and damages, a fee is generally not owed for the services provided by the attorney.